You can use your air fryer to make tasty mozzarella sticks. You need a few ingredients, and the snack will be ready in minutes. In addition, it is easy to air fry the sticks, and you will end up with a healthier snack free of unhealthy fats and extra calories. Read on to learn how to make mozzarella sticks in the air fryer.
Table of Contents
Why air-fried mozzarella sticks
Air fried mozzarella sticks are more delicious. In addition, the cooking process is seamless, requiring only a few ingredients. Your sticks will be ready in minutes if you follow the correct procedure. When using the air fryer, you will use a little oil, making your sticks healthier compared to deep-fried ones.
The secrets to getting the best results
- Double-coat your sticks with egg and a mixture of seasoning and breadcrumbs. Consider using garlic powder, salt, panko, and pepper to make them flavorful and crunchy.
- It is advisable to prepare the stick early enough and keep them in the freezer for around 30 minutes. This ensures that the ingredients stick, hence not blown all over during cooking. In addition, it prevents the cheese from melting out.
- Adding some oil ensures that the mozzarella sticks brown and get crunchy. It is advisable to use vegetable oil.
- Cook in batches to avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket. This allows the snacks to cook evenly.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
This recipe will enlighten you on how to make mozzarella sticks in air fryer. It is super easy, and you will like the snack.
Prep Time: 5 minutes (freezing time 30 minutes)
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 6 mozzarella string cheese
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cut the mozzarella fingers in half.
- Whisk the egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, panko, oil, salt, and garlic powder in another bowl. In another bowl, add flour, salt, and pepper, and mix.
- Dip the sticks into the egg, then into the flour mixture, and finally in the bread crumbs mixture. Repeat to double-coat.
- Place the coated sticks on a baking sheet, and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer for a few minutes to 390 degrees F. Once ready, remove the sticks from the freezer and arrange them in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 7-10 minutes. If they get crisp at 7 minutes, you can remove them. If not, cook until they crisp up.
- Serve and enjoy your snack when hot.
How long do I put mozzarella sticks in an air fryer?
You can cook mozzarella sticks in the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 7-10 minutes. However, you should check the sticks several times during the cooking process. If they turn golden brown and crisp up, or you start seeing cheese starting to bubble, know they are ready.
Can you put frozen mozzarella sticks in an air fryer?
Yes, you can reheat frozen mozzarella sticks in the air fryer. You need to set the air fryer to 375 degrees F and reheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, if your air fryer has a ‘reheat’ function, use it to warm your snack.
You’ve learned how to make mozzarella sticks in the air fryer. Thanks to the above recipe, you can easily prepare the snack in minutes. Be sure to freeze the coated sticks for more than 30 minutes for the best results. In addition, remember to clean the air fryer basket and the entire unit after use.